for one's own goodidiom
Definition of for one's own good
1 : being or done for the benefit of oneself I know you don't want to do this, but it's for your own good.
2 : resulting in harm to oneself They talk too much for their own good.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game