for heaven's sakeidiom
Definition of for heaven's sake
—used to make a statement or question more forceful or to express surprise, anger, etc. For heaven's sake, turn down that music!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- April 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game