fons et origonoun
fons et ori·go | \ ˌfōn(t)ˌsetəˈrē(ˌ)gō\
Definition of fons et origo
: source and origin western Europe, which … is always dimly assumed as the fons et origo of all social forces— Donald Davidson : original cause that this survival of the family god was the fons et origo of Hebrew monolatry — Times Literary Supplement
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game