Definition of focal-plane shutter
: a camera shutter used chiefly for instantaneous exposures in which a slit in an opaque curtain is passed directly across and in front of the film near the focal plane, the width of the slit and the speed of its movement determining the duration of the exposure
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game