flu·ence | \ ˈflüən(t)s\
Definition of fluence
1 : the number of particles (such as photons or neutrons) incident on a sphere divided by the cross-sectional area of the sphere : the total number of particles per unit area with which a material is irradiated particle fluence
2 : the sum of the energies of the particles of a fluence : the energy per unit area contained in the particles with which a material is irradiated energy fluence
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?