Definition of floor plate
1 : a plate (as of steel or iron) set in or forming part of a floor and sometimes provided with T slots to which heavy work and portable machine tools can be bolted to facilitate machining and erection
2 : a wooden board lying flat on the floor and supporting the studs of a wall
3 : a plate closing the bottom of the magazine recess in a bolt-action rifle having a clip-loaded magazine
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?