Definition of flat iron
1 : a device used for straightening hair by pressing and pulling sections between two heated metal or ceramic, flat, rectangular plates
2 usually flatiron \ ˈflat-ˌī(-ə)rn \, old-fashioned : iron sense 2a
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game