Definition of fishing eagle
: any of several rather large birds of prey that commonly feed on fishes: such as
a : osprey
b : a large eagle (Ichthyophaga ichthyaetus) of tropical Asia that resembles the osprey in habits
c : a large eagle (Haliaeetus leucoryphus) of southeast Europe and central Asia that ranges southward to northern India and Burma
d : eagle vulture
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?