fish in the seanoun phrase
Definition of fish in the sea
—used to say that there are many more people available for a romantic relationship "I know you're sad because you and your boyfriend broke up, but he's not the only fish in the sea." "You're right. There are many/plenty more fish in the sea."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?