first things firstidiom
Definition of first things first
—used to say that one should do the things that are most important before doing other things I know you're eager to start shopping for a car, but first things first—you need to find out how much you can afford to spend.You must set priorities and learn how to put first things first.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?