Definition of fireless locomotive
: a steam locomotive of conventional design except that it has no firebox, its steam being obtained from an outside source, stored, and admitted to the cylinders at reduced pressure as required
— called also steam storage locomotive
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game