fire upphrasal verb
fired up; firing up; fires up
Definition of fire up
1 : to start (something) by lighting a fire We fired up the grill for the barbecue.
2 : to cause (something) to start working I fired up my computer and got down to work. Before we start working let's fire up the coffeemaker.
3 : to fill (someone) with energy or enthusiasm The coach fired up the players with a pep talk. —usually used as (be/get) fired up We were fired up for the concert.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game