Definition of fire maker
1 : a device formerly used for making fire that consists of a piece of flint which is held immovably in place by metal prongs and which is struck by a hammer like that of a musket by cocking the hammer and pulling a trigger, the spark thus produced falling into a metal box filled with wood shavings or other flammable material
2 usually capitalized F&M : the third of four ranks attained by camp fire girls — compare torch bearer , trail seeker , wood gatherer
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game