Definition of fire beetle
1 : a tropical American beetle of the genus Pyrophorus especially : a common large beetle (P. noctilucus) having powerful luminous organs on the sides of the thorax and base of the abdomen — compare firefly
2 Australia : any of several beetles attracted to firelight
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game