Definition of fin keel
1 : a plate of metal fixed to the keel of a shallow boat to provide lateral resistance usually supplemented by a cigar-shaped bulb of lead to provide stability
2 : a long narrow and shallow ship (as a yacht) fitted with a fin keel and lead bulb
3 : a yacht with shallow body carried down in an extension of wood or metal which in turn carries a metal keel
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?