Definition of filbert worm
: the pink or whitish larva of a reddish-brown tortricid moth (Cydia latiferreana synonym Melissopus latiferreanus) that is a destructive borer in acorns, filberts, chestnuts, and various other nuts and fruits throughout the U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game