Definition of field system
: the prevailing system of husbandry in medieval times in England and parts of western Europe whereby the arable land of a village unit was composed of unenclosed strips held by the different owners or cultivators subject to use as a common for pasture during a certain period of each year
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game