fasten ontophrasal verb
fastened onto; fastening onto; fastens onto
Definition of fasten onto
: to grip and tightly hold (something) The stranger fastened onto my arm and wouldn't let go. —often used figuratively Once he fastens onto a subject he just won't let it drop.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game