Definition of false sandalwood
1 : a small spiny often shrubby tropical tree (Ximenia americana) that has an astringent bark rich in tannins, leathery opposite leaves, whitish flowers, and a yellow to orange edible fruit which resembles a plum and contains a very oily seed and that yields a very dense heavy aromatic wood
2 : the wood of the false sandalwood sometimes substituted for sandalwood
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game