variants: or false boxwood
Definition of false box
: a small tree or shrub (Gyminda grisebechii) of the southeastern U.S., Mexico, northern South America, and parts of the West Indies having small leathery leaves resembling those of the box (Buxus sempervirens)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game