Definition of false blossom
1 : a disease of the cranberry caused by a fungus (Exobasidium oxycocci) producing erect flower buds which produce malformed flowers that set no fruit or are sometimes replaced by a whorl of leaves or a branch
— called also rosebloom
2 : a similar disease of cranberries caused by a virus and transmitted by a leafhopper (Scleroracus vaccinii)
— called also Wisconsin false blossom
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game