variants: or fairy money
Definition of fairy gold
1 : money held to be given by fairies but turned into rubbish when put to use
2 : wealth or prosperity that may vanish as swiftly as it is acquired : precarious or illusory wealth was to have been, according to those who profited most from its fairy gold, an era that would transcend the business cycle— Stringfellow Barr
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game