variants: or fairy money
Definition of fairy gold
1 : money held to be given by fairies but turned into rubbish when put to use
2 : wealth or prosperity that may vanish as swiftly as it is acquired : precarious or illusory wealth was to have been, according to those who profited most from its fairy gold, an era that would transcend the business cycle— Stringfellow Barr
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game