:a mask or protective covering for the face
- Heavy fumes forced authorities to supply residents in the immediate vicinity of the spill with face masks …
- —Bill Hewitt and Terry Smith
- … jersey numbers define the player in football, where helmets and face masks make it harder to identify a player's face.
- —Bill Pennington
face mask penalty
, American football
:a penalty imposed on a player for grabbing and pulling an opponent's face mask during play
- … the Wolverines' Grant Perry was called for a face mask during a Desmond King punt return, giving Iowa the ball at Michigan's 36-yard line.
- —The Buffalo (New York) News
- a 15-yard face mask penalty