Definition of every other
1 : all those that are different or separate from the person or thing that has already been mentioned It's a problem that's affecting this town and every other one in the state.
2 —used to say that some repeated activity, event, etc., alternately happens and does not happen in consecutive named periods I run every other day.The contest is held every other year.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game