Definition of evening primrose
: any of several dicotyledonous plants of a family (Onagraceae, the evening-primrose family) and especially of the type genus (Oenothera) especially : a coarse biennial herb (O. biennis) of North America with yellow flowers that open in the evening
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game