Definition of even now/then
1 —used to stress that something is or was happening at a particular time They are even now preparing for his arrival.Enemy troops were even then approaching the city.
2 —used to stress that something (such as a person's attitude or behavior) was or is very surprising and unexpected We showed her the proof, but even then, she wouldn't admit she was wrong.Despite all that went wrong, he insists even now that he would do it again.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game