Definition of ethnocentrism
: the attitude that one's own group, ethnicity, or nationality is superior to others Yet Brumidi was ignored, the victim of ethnocentrism and snobbery. Though he became a citizen in 1857 … American-born artists cast him as a foreigner and resented his painting Capitol murals.— Sheryl Gay Stolberg When it comes to programs targeted at the poor, ethnocentrism correlates with stinginess …— Matthew Yglesias
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game