eta·lon | \ ˈātᵊlˌän, ˈet-\
Definition of etalon
: an interferometer in which two parallel partially silvered glass plates at a fixed distance apart produce by multiple reflection interference spectra of high dispersion and resolution adapted to the fine-structure analysis of spectrum lines
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game