es·tra·gole | \ ˈestrəˌgōl\
variants: or less commonly esdragol \ ˈezdrəˌgȯl , -gōl \
Definition of estragole
: a liquid ether C3H5C6H4OCH3 that has an odor like aniseed, occurs in tarragon oil, turpentine, and other essential oils, and is used in perfumes and flavoring materials; para-allyl-anisole
— called also methyl chavicol
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game