es·carbuncle | \ ə̇ˈs, eˈs+-\
Definition of escarbuncle
: a heraldic charge consisting of a center ornament with eight decorated rays to represent the precious stone carbuncle
— called also carbuncle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?