Definition of equal counterpoint
: strict counterpoint in which the parts move in even and identical note values : first species In equal counterpoint, the leading of the several parts is independent only in a melodic sense. — Theodore Baker, translation of Salomon Jadassohn, A Manual of Single, Double, Triple and Quadruple Counterpoint, 1902
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game