Definition of epistle side
: the right side of an altar or chancel as one faces it : south side the priest goes to the epistle side, pours wine into the chalice— C. W. Currier one sees the pulpit o' the epistle side— Robert Browning —used especially of churches in which the Epistle and the Gospel are read or sung from different sides
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game