epi·sternum | \ ¦epə̇, ¦epē+\
Definition of episternum
1a : interclavicle
b : any of several other sternal elements of similar origin or position (such as the presternum of a mammal or the epiplastron of a turtle)
2 : a lateral division or piece of a somite of an arthropod specifically : the anterior sclerite of the pleuron of an insect — compare epimeron
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game