Definition of epic caesura
: a feminine caesura following an extra unstressed syllable intruded into accentual iambic meter under cover of the caesural pause which is there longer than usual (as in Shakespeare's “but how of Cawdor? ∥The Thane of Cawdor lives”) —contrasted with lyric caesura
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game