Definition of epic caesura
: a feminine caesura following an extra unstressed syllable intruded into accentual iambic meter under cover of the caesural pause which is there longer than usual (as in Shakespeare's “but how of Cawdor? ∥The Thane of Cawdor lives”) —contrasted with lyric caesura
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game