Definition of engraver beetle
: any of numerous bark beetles that make furrows often arranged in specific patterns in the wood of trees under the bark especially : a beetle of Scolytus or a related genus that lives chiefly on young trees — compare dendroctonus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game