variants: or less commonly endpin
plural end pins also endpins
Definition of end pin
1 : the adjustable rod at the bottom of a cello or double bass used to support its weight and adjust its height
— called also tailpin
2 : the knob to which the tailpiece of a stringed instrument (such as a violin) is anchored
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game