not the end of the worldidiom
Definition of not the end of the world
: the most terrible and unpleasant thing possible You would think it was the end of the world the way she's carrying on. —usually used in negative statements to mean something is not as terrible as it seems to be It won't be the end of the world if it rains on the day of the wedding.Losing your job does not have to be the end of the world.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?