variants: or enkolpion \ eŋˈkȯlpˌyȯn \
plural encolpia or enkolpia\ -ˌyä \
Definition of encolpion
: a medallion bearing a sacred picture that is worn on the breast of a bishop of the Eastern Orthodox Church
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game