Definition of empire builder
: one whose aim or achievement is the formation of an empire: such as
a : one whose aim and activities are chiefly designed to and usually do notably increase the territory of or controlled by a country or notably enhance a country's authority and dominion
b : one whose aim and achievement is the extension of control (as financial or political) over a large territory or an extensive enterprise or set of related enterprises
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game