\ ˈeˌläps, ˈēˌ- \
Definition of elops
1 plural elops or elopses, obsolete : a marine animal sometimes identified as the sturgeon also : sea serpent
2 capitalized [New Latin, from Latin] : a genus (the type of the family Elopidae) of fishes of the order Isospondyli that are related to the tarpons and contain the ten-pounder (E. saurus)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game