Definition of electrostatic precipitation
: removal of suspended particles (such as dust and acid mists) from a gas (such as air or blast-furnace gas) by charging the particles and precipitating them by applying a strong electric field (as by passing the gas between collecting and discharge electrodes in a precipitator) — compare cottrell process
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?