Definition of electron diffraction
: an effect due to the wavelike nature of electrons and observed when a narrow beam of them upon passing through a very thin layer of a material (such as a metal crystal) is deflected in particular directions and if allowed to fall on a fluorescent screen produces a pattern of light and dark areas, the pattern formed by these areas being characteristic of the material traversed
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game