Definition of electron diffraction
: an effect due to the wavelike nature of electrons and observed when a narrow beam of them upon passing through a very thin layer of a material (such as a metal crystal) is deflected in particular directions and if allowed to fall on a fluorescent screen produces a pattern of light and dark areas, the pattern formed by these areas being characteristic of the material traversed
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game