Definition of electron affinity
1 : the degree to which an atom or molecule attracts additional electrons
2 : the minimum energy required to remove an electron from a negative ion to produce a neutral atom or molecule
3 : the negative of the energy required to introduce an additional initially free electron into a crystal
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game