Definition of elderflower
: the flower of an elderberry (such as Sambucus nigra) used especially in making wines, liqueurs, and teas On its own, this 40-proof liqueur, said to be the first made from fresh elderflowers hand-picked in the Alps and macerated in eau de vie, is pretty intense unless it's cut with ice and a splash of soda.— Florence Fabricant … Percy heaved an impressive sigh and took a deep swig of elderflower wine …— J. K. Rowling
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game