plural eland also elands
Definition of eland
: either of two large African antelopes (Taurotragus oryx synonym Tragelaphus oryx and Taurotragus derbianus synonym Tragelaphus derbianus) bovine in form with short spirally twisted horns in both sexes
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game