variants: or less commonly irenicon \ īˈrenə̇ˌkän , -ə̇kən , chiefly British -rēn- \
Definition of eirenicon
: a statement that attempts to harmonize conflicting doctrines (as in a church) : reconciliation can a new eirenicon be enforced on rival sects by making them share a common ping-pong table— J. E. MacColl
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?