Definition of eight-spotted forester
: a familiar day-flying moth (Alypia octomaculata) of the eastern U.S. that is black with eight conspicuous pale spots on the wings and has humped and transversely striped larvae which often defoliate ornamental vines and grapevines
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game