Definition of eight-spotted forester
: a familiar day-flying moth (Alypia octomaculata) of the eastern U.S. that is black with eight conspicuous pale spots on the wings and has humped and transversely striped larvae which often defoliate ornamental vines and grapevines
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game