edge outphrasal verb
edged out; edging out; edges out
Definition of edge out
: to slowly become more successful, popular, etc., than (someone or something) The company is gradually edging out the competition. Efficiency has edged out price as the top reason people give for buying the car.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game