eco·species | \ ˈekō, ˈēkō+ˌ-\
Definition of ecospecies
: a subdivision of a cenospecies that is capable of free gene interchange between its members without impairment of fertility but is less capable of fertile crosses with members of other subdivisions of the cenospecies and that is typically more or less equivalent to the taxonomic species
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game