ec·cle·sia | \ ə̇ˈklēzēə, eˈ-, -lēzh(ē)ə\
plural ecclesiae\ -lēz(h)ēˌē , -lāzēˌī \
Definition of ecclesia
1 : a political assembly of citizens of ancient Greek states especially : the periodic meeting of the Athenian citizens for conducting public business and for considering affairs proposed by the council
2 : church sense 4d
3 : one of the local organizations of the Christadelphians
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game